Thursday, May 26, 2011

Goodbyes -Part 4-



This is the POST-MEXICO shot of all the kids that went down to Mexico. Yes, a little more sunburnt and quite exhausted (which explains the hot-tub format of the shot).


But, before we found ourselves back in the RUSH of the states again, there were goodbyes to be said. Lots and Lots of goodbyes.
-

On the last day in Mexico, our team went to the homes of the families of each kid that had come to the camp.
Before we got out of the van, the camp instructors talked to us a long time, preparing us for the vist. I doubt any of us were really ready for everything that we ran into that day. We'd all seen pictures of towns like the one we were about to enter... we thought we were completely prepared. But seeing pictures and actually BEING there are two completely differant things.


Two of the things that they told us were 1). not to feel 'sorry' for the families that we saw. For they were placed in their situations by God, and He's got everything in His hands and it's all a part of His perfect plan. and 2). we should be especially cheerful, dispite the goodbyes and our new surroundings.


Jo, with Dania and the rest of her family.


We walked from house to house in the small commuty. And at each place one of the team memebers and their 'nino' would have to say goodbye. As we walked on to the next place, the tears would have to be wiped away and cheerful smiles put in their place.



Some of the homes were trailers patched up with tarp, others, plywood structures the size of a small room. But at each place the family would welcome us with open arms. When we asked for prayer requests all they wished was our safty... each mother, or parent was tearful with gratitude and there was no way our hearts couldn't have broken.


The 'nino's didn't want us to go, or ever forget them. Many of them exchanged their name tags for ours, or gave us things that were really special to them. At each home we'd give the kid a bag of things that we'd compiled especially for them, and to the whole family we'd present a food bag.


Dayanah and I. Probably the best and worst moment of my life.

Right before we got in the vans to leave, she came running down the hill with a letter wrapped around a little chocolate. And right when I thought the tears were all gone, they came right back again :).


One of the houses that we visited insisted on feeding us lunch. It was amazing. Deep fried oysters and home made tortiallas and salsa. The hospitality of every family was beyond touching.


On the van ride back to the camp it was the quitest 30 minutes any of us had spent yet. More tears, comitments that we'd never again take for granted the things that we have... and it was good that we all had eachother to lean on and talk with about the incredibly amazing day we'd just spent.

I think all of us agreed that until you've been there in a place like that and had a relationship with someone like that, you'll never completely understand the feeling of love for that person and place, nor will you fully understand the impact of their situation upon your own life.



The next morning we got up early, had to say goodbye again- this time to the Genesis Diez staff and the camp that had been our home for the past week. We started the long drive back to the states. This time we went back up through Tiajuana. That was another experience in itself. There were people EVERYWHERE, vending their things, and knocking on you car windows.


But nevertheless, we made it back to San Diego all in one piece. The next few days we spent relaxing before flying back up to Ketchikan.


GOODBYE MEXICO


-The End- (finally)

:)

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading each of your chapters describing your mission trip to Mexico. The last chapter was so touching and I got a lump in my throat (more than once). I am so glad that you got to go on that trip ... and I am real proud of you for going too. You are doing a great job on this blog. Keep up the good work.
    Aunt Alice Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I had to post my last remark under "anonymous" because somehow I now have two Google accounts (I don't know how that happened) anyway I couldn't figure out what they wanted me to do in order to post my comment under my usual Google account .... so now I guess I will have to be "Anonymous"!!
    love, Aunt Alice

    ReplyDelete